Applications for magnet program for the 2018-2019 school year will be available starting on Friday, Sept. 22. HISD offers a robust portfolio of magnet programs at more than 100 schools to best meet your child’s academic needs and interests. The magnet programs within the district include:
- College & Career Readiness
- Fine Arts
- International Specialty Schools
- International Baccalaureate
- Language Immersion Schools
- Language Programs
- S.T.E.M. & S.T.E.A.M.
- Single-Gender College Preparatory
Dates to remember
Sept.30-Dec. 2, 2017: School choice fairs, school visits (details below)
Dec. 8, 2017: Applications due for Phase I consideration (Qualified in-district applications will be entered into lotteries or be offered auditions.)
March 22, 2018: Notifications of application status sent via mail and online system.
April 5, 2018: Date that parents must respond to the offer and make arrangements with the school to provide the following documents: recent proof of HISD residency, a signed Magnet entrance agreement, and proof of age (if offered seat is for a Pre-K or Kindergarten program).
May 31, 2018: Applications due for Phase II consideration (qualified in-district applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis, if space is available).
Aug. 10, 2018: Applications due for Phase III consideration (Like Phase 2, but out- of-district applications will be considered).
How to apply to a magnet program
Step 1: Weigh your options
Attend a school choice fair to learn more about the programs available across the district:
- Sept. 30: 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at Milby High School, 1601 Broadway, Houston, TX, 77012
- Oct. 14: 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at Westbury High School, 11911 Chimney Rock, Houston, TX 77035
- Nov. 4: 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at Sterling High School, 11625 Martindale, Houston, TX 77048
- Dec. 2: 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at Key Middle School, 4000 Kelley, Houston, TX 77026
Tour any HISD school on the following School Choice Thursdays. Arrive at 9 a.m. for elementary and K-8 schools, and at 1 p.m. for secondary schools: Oct. 5, 12, 19, 26; Nov. 2, 9, 16, 30; Dec. 7
Visit HoustonISD.org/Magnet or call 713-556-6947. If you are interested in a Vanguard (Gifted & Talented) magnet program, visit HoustonISD.org/Vanguard or call Advanced Academics at 713-556-6954 to learn about testing qualifications/dates.
Step 2: Apply online or on paper
You will have a limit of 5 choices, and you must rank them 1-5, with your top choice being ranked 1.
Note: If you apply to 5 Vanguard programs, and your student is not ultimately identified as Gifted and Talented, your student will not be considered for any of the Vanguard programs chosen.
- Apply online at HISDChoice.com (If you have used the system before, please use your previous account) or fill out a paper application (Pick up an application at the Magnet school of your choice, from the Office of School Choice, or download here.)
- Be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application. (Check your email’s spam folder and do not use a Hotmail account – the service often blocks emails from HISD)
- Submit your application by Dec. 8 to be considered in the first phase
Step 3: Secure your seat
- Notification of application status will be sent on March 22, 2018, before midnight, via e-mail and become viewable within the online application system’s parent dashboard. In addition, one Magnet application status letter is sent via U.S. mail to the parents of all Phase I applicants.
- If your student has been offered a seat, you have two weeks (until April 5, 2018) to respond to the offer, and make arrangements with the school to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement. This will not affect your position on any waiting lists at higher ranked schools.
- If your student has been placed on a wait list, watch for changes in application status through spring and summer. You may be able to submit additional applications to programs with seats.