HISD’s Transportation Department is offering a $2,000 sign-on stipend to the first 120 CDL drivers hired before August 22, 2022. Re-hires are not eligible for the stipend.
Applying CDL drivers are required to complete a series of prerequisites to determine their eligibility:
- Pass a Department of Transportation physical/drug screening
- Meet the standards of a motor vehicle record check (MVR)
- Clear a criminal background check
- Pass the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) drug and alcohol clearinghouse
- Pass five Department of Transportation CDL written tests and the road test
- Satisfy Part I Requirement of Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT)
- Obtain an HISD employee identification number
- Complete all new hire authorization paperwork
Candidates must also complete a minimum of 30 hours of behind-the-wheel training, satisfy Part II Requirement of ELDT Training and serve as an eligible bus driver, driving students to and from school for 60 driving days from the date of hire in order to receive the $2,000 stipend.
For any questions regarding the stipend or eligibility, please call Northwest Motor Pool at (713) 556-5900.