Sharpstown High School students, as well as volunteers from Morgan Stanley, Memorial Hermann, and Volunteer Houston, made the holiday season a little brighter for their community at last weekend’s Apollo market. Approximately 200 families were provided with more than 6,000 pounds of groceries.
The Apollo Market is a weekly food distribution run entirely by student volunteers, but the December 12 market included a special holiday fair for the community, which included:
* fresh groceries, including a turkey
* a recipe demonstration by the Sharpstown High School HealthCorps Cooking Club
* free blood-pressure screenings from Memorial Hermann Southwest staff
* the opportunity to learn more about the onsite Memorial Hermann school clinic
* a nutrition demonstration by Houston Food Bank staff
* booths with holiday games and activities provided by Morgan Stanley staff * the opportunity to register for eligible social services with Epiphany Community Health Outreach Services (ECHOS).
“This was such a great event to support the local community.” said Sharpstown community member Kim Benson. “I was impressed by the students, who were helpful and sweet. It really puts you in the holiday spirit.”