Following are updates from the bond discussion at the Board of Education workshop this morning. For live updates, follow us on Twitter, @HoustonISD.
- In all, the HISD bond proposal includes 28 high schools, 2 middle schools, 5 K-8 schools, and 3 elementary schools.
- The bond proposal was guided by a third-party facilities assessment that identified the need to modernize Houston high school classrooms. (View the report here).
- Four high schools would receive renovations under the bond plan: Kashmere, Scarborough, Sharpstown International, and Jones.
- Architecturally significant exteriors of several high schools (Lamar, Davis, Austin, Milby) would be preserved in new construction.
- If voters approved the bond in November, design work of new schools would begin in early 2013. Construction would likely begin in 2014. Many of the new high schools could open for the 2016-2017 school year.
- High school construction costs were calculated on a $160-per-square-foot basis, which is below the regional average.
Click here to access the 2012 Facilities Capital Improvement Program Proposal, campus facility assessment data and other bond resources.