Every January, Texas celebrates National School Board Recognition Month to honor the men and women who serve on the nation’s thousands of Boards of Education. These dedicated public servants become school board trustees because they are committed to improving public education and their communities. They devote many hours of their time to making sure the nation’s children receive a high-quality education that will make them lifelong learners and prepare them for successful, rewarding lives and careers. They make sure America’s school districts provide students with schools that are safe and have the resources and instructional programs they need to educate children to their fullest potential.
The nine members of HISD’s Board of Education serve staggered four-year terms—and, unlike their peers in other cities, they serve without pay. They are elected from separate geographic districts, but as board members they work closely with the superintendent of schools to improve teaching and learning throughout the entire city, not just in their individual trustee districts.
For more information about HISD’s Board of Education and profiles of its members, visit the Board Channel or click on their names below:
HISD Board of Education
- Anna Eastman, Trustee, District I
- Rhonda Skillern-Jones, Trustee, District II
- Manuel Rodríguez Jr., Trustee, District III
- Paula M. Harris, Trustee, District IV
- Michael Lunceford, Trustee, District V
- Greg Meyers, Trustee, District VI
- Harvin C. Moore, Trustee, District VII
- Juliet Stipeche, Trustee, District VIII
- Lawrence Marshall,Trustee, District IX