With the first day of school quickly approaching, HISD Transportation is ready for a safe and smooth start to the school year.
Before school starts, the department says all parents should receive a postcard in the mail and at least two telephone calls with their children’s bus route information.
A customer call center has also been set up to answer questions. Parents can call 713-613-3040 between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. starting Monday, Aug. 18, for assistance with transportation-related issues. The call center will remain open for at least 30 days.
HISD Transportation is also launching a new website to help parents track their child’s bus. The goal is to make it easier to pinpoint the location of the bus and whether it’s on schedule. The website is scheduled to be available later this year.
For information about eligibility for transportation and bus stops, contact your child’s school or go here.
More Transportation updates:
- There are about 925 bus routes this year.
- Some 60 new drivers are coming onboard this year.
- Safety trainers were schooled in bus inspections, precision-driving techniques, parking, and correct mirror usage so that they could train drivers.
- Bus drivers and attendants partnered with the Houston Fire Department, American Red Cross, Operation Lifesaver, and the HISD Police Department Gang Task Force for bus preparedness training, student management, and instruction on first aid.
- All 1,001 buses in the HISD fleet will have been inspected and bus cameras, GPS units, child safety reminders, and silent alarms have been checked.