Parents have until Friday, Dec. 19, to turn in an HISD magnet application for first-round consideration for next school year. The application takes about 10 minutes to complete and can be accessed by visiting HoustonISD.org/SchoolChoice.
Before starting the application process, gather documents and information, such as your child’s HISD student I.D. number, for reference.
- Parents can submit an application online or on paper.
- Online applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19.
- Paper applications, along with required documents, must be hand-delivered or postmarked via mail by Friday, Dec. 19, to each magnet program to which you apply. (Mailed paper applications should be sent to the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center, 4400 W. 18th Street, Houston, TX 77092.)
- All qualified applications received by the first-round deadline are entered into a lottery if there are more applicants than spaces.
- Applications submitted after the first-round deadline will be considered only if space is available.
What Happens After Submitting an Application?
- Magnet coordinators will review applications to determine if students qualify for the lottery.
- Magnet coordinators may contact parents for additional information.
- On March 27, 2015, parents will learn the outcome of their child’s application. Parents will be notified by mail and email which schools have admitted their child and which schools have placed them on a waiting list.
- Families will have two weeks to accept or decline an offer to attend a certain magnet program, and only one offer may be accepted. Parents must notify the magnet school of their choice to confirm their child’s “intent to attend” by April 10, 2015.