Think you might need to visit HISD’s headquarters? Check this list first!

Hundreds of parents come to the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center (HMWESC; 4400 W. 18th St., 77092) each fall in the weeks leading up to the start of school, but many discover they didn’t really need to.

While some tasks must be performed in person at HISD’s headquarters, others can be accomplished at the campus level or even from home via the Internet.

If you are a parent trying to complete a form, request a copy of records, or accomplish any number of other start-of-year tasks, check out our list below first, and you could save yourself a trip or hours wasted in line.

What do you want to do?

  • Obtain a copy of my child’s school records (recent HISD students)Requests must be made at the last school the student attended for students who have left HISD within the last seven years. After that, records are available at the HMWESC through the Student Records Department, 713-556-6744. Valid identification must be provided at the time of request. Please note that academic records do not include copies of birth certificates, Social Security cards, or immunizations.


  • Complete a Determination of Residence of a Minor (DRM) formCan only be completed in person at the HMWESC (Student Transfer Dept., 713-556-6734), as the form must be notarized. The person who is caring for the student must be present and provide a valid picture ID, as well as current proof of address (lease agreement or utility bill).


  • Complete a Statement of Residence (SOR) formCan only be done at a child’s school. The individual with whom the parent is living with must accompany the parent to sign the SOR.


  • Request a transfer (first-time request)Can only be submitted at the campus level. Blank forms can be found online (, at any HISD school, or through the Student Transfer Dept.).


  • Request a meeting to appeal a transfer request that was deniedCan be submitted via email (, fax (713-556-6784), or in person at the HMWESC (Student Transfer Dept.). Parents will be contacted with the date and time of the scheduled meeting.


  • Check the status of a magnet applicationCan be checked electronically via the parent dashboard at or by calling the Magnet Department at 713-556-6947.


  • Ask about a particular school’s magnet programCan be handled at the campus level. Please contact the school’s magnet coordinator for assistance. A list of coordinators is here (.pdf).


  • Register a complaint or concern regarding policy or proceduresReports can be made in person at the HMWESC, by phone at 713-556-7121, or via email at Please request to speak to a parent liaison. He or she will be able to address your request, usually within 24–48 hours.

If what you want to do is not listed above, please call the Information Center at 713-556-6000 for assistance.