First school choice fair set for Saturday at Sterling HS
Parents will have the ability to begin applying to magnet program for the 2019-2020 school year on Friday, Sept. 28, and the district’s first school choice fair will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Sept. 29 at Sterling High School (11625 Martindale, 77048).
HISD offers a robust portfolio of magnet programs at 122 schools to best meet students’ academic needs and interests. The magnet programs within the district include:
- College & Career Readiness
- Fine Arts
- International Specialty Schools
- International Baccalaureate
- Language Immersion Schools
- Language Programs
- S.T.E.M. & S.T.E.A.M.
- Single-Gender College Preparatory
Dates to remember
Sept.29-Dec. 1, 2018: School choice fairs, school visits (details below)
Sept. 28, 2018: Applications available at HISDChoice.com or in paper from your magnet program of choice, from the Office of School Choice, or to download at HoustonISD.org/Magnet
Dec. 7, 2018: Applications due for Phase I consideration (Qualified in-district applications will be entered into lotteries or be offered auditions).
3 steps to apply to a magnet program
Step 1: Weigh your options
Attend a school choice fair to learn more about the programs available across the district:
- Sept. 29: 9 a.m. to noon at Sterling High School, 11625 Martindale, 77048
- Oct. 20: 9 a.m. to noon at Washington High School, 119 E 39th, 77018
- Nov. 10: 9 a.m. to noon at Westbury High School, 11911 Chimney Rock, 77035
- Dec. 1: 9 a.m. to noon at Milby High School, 1601 Broadway, 77012
Tour any HISD school on the following School Choice Thursdays. Arrive at 9 a.m. for elementary and K-8 schools, and at 1 p.m. for secondary schools: Oct. 4, 11, 18, 25; Nov. 1, 8, 15, 29*; Dec. 6*
*All schools will offer 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. tours on these two dates
Visit HoustonISD.org/Magnet or call 713-556-6947. If you are interested in a Vanguard (Gifted & Talented) magnet program, visit HoustonISD.org/Vanguard or call Advanced Academics at 713-556-6954 to learn about testing qualifications/dates.
Step 2: Apply online or on paper
You will have a limit of 5 choices, and you must rank them 1-5, with your top choice being ranked 1.
Note: If you apply to 5 Vanguard programs, and your student is not ultimately identified as Gifted and Talented, your student will not be considered for any of the Vanguard programs chosen.
- Apply online at HISDChoice.com (If you have used the system before, please use your previous account) or fill out a paper application (Pick up an application at the Magnet school of your choice, from the Office of School Choice, or download here.)
- Be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application. (Check your email’s spam folder and do not use a Hotmail account – the service often blocks emails from HISD)
- Submit your application by Dec. 7 to be considered in the first phase
Step 3: Secure your seat
- Notification of application status will be sent in early spring via e-mail and will become viewable within the online application system’s parent dashboard. In addition, one Magnet application status letter is sent via U.S. mail to the parents of all Phase I applicants.
- If your student has been offered a seat, you have two weeks to respond to the offer, and make arrangements with the school to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement. This will not affect your position on any waiting lists at higher ranked schools.