Winter break is the perfect time for students to catch up on their favorite books, hone their reading skills, and earn a free book from their local Houston Public Library.
HISD is encouraging students to join the Houston Public Library’s winter reading program for kids and teens. From Dec. 15 through Jan. 15, students are encouraged to read or be read to 20 minutes a day for 10 days.
Students can read anything they like. Books, comics, newspapers, magazine articles, blogs, web pages, listen to an audiobook or have someone read to aloud; all of these types of reading count. The Houston Public Library’s Readers’ Advisory staff can also create a personalized reading list.
Registration and program attendance badges will be available for pickup beginning Sat., Dec. 15. After reading for 10 non-consecutive days, students will be eligible to pick up a free book. Students will also earn collectible buttons for registering, attending programs, and completing their reading goals.
Register, log in, and win with a few easy steps:
- Visit houstonlibrary.org/learn-explore/winter-reading-program.
- Click the registration button and follow the prompts.
- Log in anytime to track your reading goals and activity participation.
- Unlock badges by logging 20 minutes a day, attending library programs, and more.
- Anything you read counts!