January is School Board Recognition Month, and the Houston Independent School District is joining other districts across the state to honor local leaders for their dedication and willingness to serve as advocates for public schools.
These dedicated public servants become school board trustees to serve as advocates for school children because they are committed to improving public education and their communities. School board members devote many hours to making sure students receive a high-quality education and are provided with schools that are safe and have the resources and instructional programs to educate them to their fullest potential.
The nine members of HISD’s Board of Education serve staggered four-year terms—and, unlike their peers in other cities, they serve without pay. They are elected from separate geographic districts, but as board members they work closely with the superintendent of schools to improve teaching and learning throughout the entire city, not just in their individual trustee districts.
For more information about HISD’s trustees, visit the Board of Education webpage or click on their names below:
2018-2019 HISD Board of Education
- Elizabeth Santos, Trustee, District I
- Rhonda Skillern-Jones, President, District II
- Sergio Lira, Secretary, District III
- Jolanda Jones, First Vice President, District IV
- Sue Diegaard, Trustee, District V
- Holly Maria Flynn Vilaseca, Assistant Secretary, District VI
- Anne Sung, Second Vice President, District VII
- Diana Dávila, Trustee, District VIII
- Wanda Adams, Trustee, District IX