The Houston Independent School District is pleased to announce the selection of seven volunteers to serve on its newly reorganized Bond Oversight Committee as the district embarks on its $1.89 billion bond program approved by voters in November.
Administrators decided in December to revise the existing committee charter to give the group a more active role in monitoring the district’s bond program and keeping the public informed on new construction and renovation projects.
The district actively sought residents to serve on the committee and received more than 20 applicants with expertise in business, engineering, construction, and education. Administrators ruled out any individuals who didn’t live in HISD or had potential conflicts of interest and then held interviews to choose members. The positions are unpaid, and committee members are prohibited from having an active contract or seeking a contract with the district.
“The new committee represents a cross section of the Houston community and will bring its expertise to help the district maximize available resources in the bond program,” said Leo Bobadilla, HISD’s chief operating officer. “Its focus will be oversight and ensuring a quality program that is accountable and responsible to HISD taxpayers.”
Duties of the Bond Oversight Committee include ensuring that bond revenues are spent appropriately and evaluating risks and controls of the bond program via an independent and periodic report to the Board of Education, superintendent, and general public.
The committee meets quarterly and will hold its first meeting on April 30 at 8:30 a.m. The members are:
- Michael G. Davis, real estate broker, Brooks & Davis Real Estate Firm, LLC, HISD parent
- Martin Debrovner, community volunteer and retired Weingarten Realty executive
- Jessica Diaz, community volunteer, HISD parent
- Robert M. Eury, community development and nonprofit executive, Central Houston, Inc.
- D.V. “Sonny” Flores, engineering and construction management, PEC Corp.
- Phoebe Tudor, community volunteer, philanthropist, and historic preservationist, HISD parent
- Gary J. White, certified public accountant, White-Orugboh & Associates, HISD parent