Recent graduates from HISD’s Bellaire, Carnegie Vanguard, and DeBakey high schools, along with the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, were named National Merit Scholarship winners in the third and final round of announcements on July 15.
The most recent honorees from the Class of 2013 won scholarships ranging from $500 to $2,000 a year for up to four years of undergraduate study. Each scholarship is sponsored by the particular college or university the students will attend this fall.
The winners, and the awarding institutions, are listed below:
- Andrei Didenko—Tufts University
- Anneliese Gest—Macalester College
- Vivek Kantamani—University of Texas at Dallas
- Helen Mazella—Emory University
- Amanda Pevehouse—University of Southern California
- Edward Yun—Vanderbilt University
- Carnegie Vanguard
- Sam Dietrich—Harvey Mudd College
- Jonathan Vincent—Tufts University
- Shannon Ahmed—University of Houston
- Palmer Mills—Tulane University
Approximately 1,800 students received college-sponsored National Merit Scholarships this year. Winners of other types of National Merit Scholarships were announced in April and May.