HISD will begin its “40 in Four” work schedule at the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center and participating schools and departments for the summer beginning Monday, June 1, 2015. First implemented in 2011, the schedule was designed to save the district money on operating expenses during the hot summer months.
During the 40 in Four schedule, central offices will be closed on Fridays, and participating employees must work 10 hours each day during the four-day work week (Monday–Thursday). The Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center (4400 W. 18th St., 77092) will be open to the public from 7:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday during this period. Campuses have the option of operating on a four- or five-day work week, but employees there are still required to work 40 hours.
The compressed summer work schedule ends on Thursday, July 30, 2015. The district will return to its regular hours of operation on Monday, Aug. 3, 2015.
Employees should review the following guidelines regarding the “40 in Four” schedule:
- Participation is subject to supervisor approval.
- All employees will be required to submit a summer work schedule to their supervisor. Employees can select either 30 or 60 minutes for lunch. Once a work schedule has been approved, it must remain the same for the entire summer program.
- An employee cannot work through lunch in order to leave early. The entire 30- or 60-minute lunch break must be taken.
- All employees will be required to follow standard sign-in/sign-out and reporting procedures during this time period
- Non-exempt employees will be required to sign in and out for lunch breaks or follow other standard procedures that departments have in place to monitor and report lunch breaks
- A 40-hour work week is required of all employees. Employees who do not work 40 hours will use leave time and/or incur a reduction in pay to cover the shortage or be docked. Employees will not be allowed to work from home or telecommute during this program.
- Any absences from work during this time period will be calculated at 10 hours per day.
- Campuses that opt for the “40 in Four” schedule: For attendance and absence reporting during the week of June 29, the observance of Independence Day counts as 10 hours. All employees will be required to account for 30 hours that week. The district will be closed on Thursday, July 2, in observance of Independence Day.
- Campuses that opt out of the “40 in Four” schedule: Independence Day will be observed Friday, July 3.
- An immediate supervisor will have to approve any variation of an employee’s daily schedule outside of operating hours (7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday).
- Schools and office locations will have to obtain prior written approval from their chief, if there is a need for any variation of operational hours during this program.
- Supervisors reserve the right to alter work schedules should needs arise that are critical to maintaining operations and meeting departmental goals.
- Disciplinary action will be taken if there was documented evidence of abuse of time/schedules during this program.
- Payroll will be distributed according to the district’s calendar.
Questions about the 2015 summer schedule may be directed to Human Resources at 713-556-7323.