Foundation led by ex-NFL player, Madison HS grad Moran Norris continues commitment to HISD students for 11th year
Thanks to the Moran Norris Foundation’s “Shopping for Good Character” program, 150 HISD middle-school students won a $100 shopping spree at Target in May. The students were selected by their teachers for great character, as well as excellent attendance. Of those students, six received iPads for their essays on good character. Another six students won athletics scholarships for college.
The foundation handed out the awards at its 10th-anniversary fundraising gala, “Follow Me to the Stars,” in late June. In addition, HISD representatives presented Moran and Tamara Norris with a Certificate of Recognition for their outstanding support of HISD students over the years with scholarships, charitable initiatives, and the “Shopping for Good Character” program.
The foundation also awarded six $1,500 scholarships to HISD students as part of the foundation’s “Follow Your Dream” scholarship fund. This program was designed to encourage student athletes to attend college by providing financial assistance for tuition, books, and other general educational expenses.
Winners of the “Shopping for Good Character” essay competition are:
- Ayanna Davis, Cullen Middle School
- Emily Torres, Lawson Middle School
- Carolyn Winfield, Marshall Middle School
- Diana Flores, McReynolds Middle School
- Olivia Syler, The Rice School
- Mariana Padron, Williams Middle School
Winners of the Moran Norris “Follow Your Dream” scholarship are:
- Katia Rico Lopez, Westbury High School
- Nygil Carr, Wheatley High School
- Jena Jeffery, Booker T. Washington High School
- Romello Hoyle, Madison High School
- Talisha Jones, Madison High School
- Hunter Moore, Madison High School
In the fall of 2015, the foundation presented back-to-school backpacks to Madison High School students (see story here). They also sent a graffiti artist to four HISD elementary schools to help students create murals in their schools (see story here).