Parents who would still like to apply for a magnet school for the 2017-2018 school year or would like to reapply to a school at which their original magnet application was dropped or released have until Wednesday, May 31 to do so.
Parents who participated in Phase 1 of the application process (Sept. 30 – Dec. 9, 2016) were notified of the status of their submissions on Thursday, March 23. Phase I includes in-district applications only.
After all applications in Phase 1 have been processed, eligible Phase 2 students who meet a program’s qualifications will be considered in the order in which their application was submitted (online or on paper).
Any applications for students who live outside the HISD boundaries will not be considered until Phase 3, even if the application was submitted during Phase 2.
All applications for students who live inside the HISD boundaries or for the children of active HISD employees who live outside the boundaries will be considered.
Parents who created online accounts can find the results posted on their dashboards, and letters were sent out by U.S. mail to all parents who submitted an application.
Parents should email Magnet@houstonisd.org for any inquiries.
Click here for a brief explanation of terms found on magnet application results.
What are the next steps after receiving magnet results?
So, what should you do once you receive the application-status notification?
- If your child was accepted: Accept an offered seat either online or in person. Provide a signed magnet-entrance agreement, proof of residence, and proof of age (if the student will be entering Pre-K or kindergarten) to the school registrar as soon as possible. Thursday, April 6, 2017 is the last day to complete this step, or a child’s space can no longer be guaranteed. For offers on or after April 6, 2017, parents will have 3 school days to accept the seat, deliver the required documents, and sign entrance agreement at the school to secure the seat.
- If your child was not placed (Not Qualified or In Processing) or wait-listed: Please feel free to continue to search for a Magnet Program with space available. Stay alert for changes in application status throughout the summer by visiting the magnet status page. We will update our website on a weekly basis with programs that have space available and are still accepting applications. The deadline for Magnet Programs with space available to accept applications is August 11, 2017.
For more information on HISD’s magnet programs, including a complete list of important dates, please visit the School Choice website, and if you have specific questions about your application or results, contact the Magnet office at email@example.com, or call the Magnet office at (713) 556-6947.
Below are answers to some frequently asked questions during the magnet notification process. Find a complete FAQ in English and an FAQ en Espanol.
Q: I got into my second or third choice. What happens to my lower-ranked choices?
A: Schools ranked lower than the highest one in which a student has been accepted would be released and no longer available to your student.
Q: What if I have accepted one school, but another school calls me from the waitlist. May I accept this second school?
A: Yes, you will have three school days from the date that the seat was offered to take the following documents to the school whose offer you want to accept:
- Proof of current residence.
- Proof of age (if your child is entering Pre-K or kindergarten).
- The school will be able to provide you a copy of an entrance agreement that you will be required to sign.
- Complete the campus enrollment process.
Q: May I visit a school again before I make a final decision?
A: We recommend that you contact the school’s Magnet coordinator to see what times are available. If you have been offered a seat at this school, please remember that there is a deadline to secure the seat.
Q: What if I get into a school I ranked first on my list, but I am interested in a school that I ranked lower? Can I get on the wait list of a school I originally ranked lower?
A: Yes, you can get on the waitlist if there is space available at the lower ranked school. You cannot hold two seats at the same time and would need to decline the higher ranked choice in order to accept the lower ranked school. You will have 3 school days from the date of the lower ranked offer to respond and to deliver any required documentation to the lower ranked school.
Q: I am experiencing problems with the HISD website and dashboard. What should I do?
A: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Magnet office at (713) 556-6947, explaining in detail the issues you are having.
Q: I can’t remember my login/password for my parent dashboard.
A: Use the “Forgot your password?” feature located at the bottom of the left hand side of the parent login page at https://hisdchoice.com/apply/login.php