Each spring, HISD students produce short educational videos about technology safety for the Spring 2017 Digital Literacy Moments Video Campaign. The videos are judged by the Future of Privacy Forum, a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy group that focuses on issues of data privacy, and HISD’s Educational Technology team. The nine winning videos are published on the HISD website.
The goal of the campaign is to prepare students to be global graduates by teaching them basic 21st century skills: learning to use technology safely, knowing how data is handled by apps, and adhering to intellectual property and copyright laws. Learning these skills helps to make them responsible and effective technology users in school and in their chosen careers.
There were 155 submissions from seven HISD schools: East Early College, Energy Institute, Harvard ES, Mandarin Immersion Magnet School, McNamara ES, Patrick Henry MS, and Young Women’s College Preparatory Academy. First-, second-, and third-place winners were chosen for each level—high school, middle school, and elementary school.
The winning students are listed below with links to their videos. They can also be seen on this page.
High school students who won a $100 Visa gift card:
- First place: Samantha Gonzalez, Alessandra Herrera, and Jazmine Lawson from East Early College HS for “WiFi Spy”
- Second place: Samantha Gonzales from East Early College HS for “Login Safety”
- Third place: Jason Vega and Alisson Hernandez from Energy Institute for “No Phishing”
Middle school students who won a $75 Visa gift card:
- First place: Lauren Richards, and Amanda Pedraza from YWCPA for “Cyberbullying”
- Second Place: Opeyemi Ogundele and Valeria Sanchez from YWCPA for “Fake News”
- Third Place: Elias Cesar from Patrick Henry for “Phishing”
Elementary school students who won a $25 Visa gift card: