Parents who want their child to attend one of the district’s magnet schools for the 2018-2019 school year must submit an application by Friday, Dec. 8, to be included in the first round of consideration.
Any applications received after the Dec. 8 Phase I deadline will be considered only for schools where space is still available.
Parents who still aren’t sure which school they want their child to attend next year are invited to the final School Choice Fair from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Dec. 2, at Key Middle School (4000 Kelley St., 77026). Representatives from HISD magnet schools will be there, and attendees can get help submitting their applications.
HISD offers a robust portfolio of magnet programs at more than 100 schools to meet students’ academic needs and interests. They include:
- College & Career Readiness
- Fine Arts
- International Specialty Schools
- International Baccalaureate
- Language Immersion Schools
- Language Programs
- S.T.E.M. & S.T.E.A.M.
- Single-Gender College Preparatory
The 2018-2019 HISD magnet application is available online, and paper applications can be picked up at all magnet campuses. Online applications provide more options for tracking and staying up to date on the latest developments.
Paper applications can be hand-delivered or sent by U.S. mail to the Office of School Choice at 4400 West 18th Street, Houston, TX 77092. Another option is to scan the paper application and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the required documents.
Parents will learn the status of their application on March 22, 2018, when results will be available online and also sent by mail. If their child has been offered a seat in a program, parents have two weeks to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement. If their student is placed on a waiting list, parents can monitor changes in application status throughout the summer, at which time they may be able to submit additional applications to programs with available seats.
For more information about the magnet application process, HISD school choice tours, and the final fair, visit HoustonISD.org/SchoolChoice or call the Office of School Choice at 713-556-6947.
Dates to remember
- Sept. 22, 2017: Applications available at HISDChoice.com or in paper from your magnet program of choice, from the Office of School Choice, or to download at HoustonISD.org/Magnet
- Dec. 2, 2017: Final school choice fair, Key Middle School
- Dec. 8, 2017: Applications due for Phase I consideration (Qualified in-district applications will be entered into lotteries or be offered auditions.)
- March 22, 2018: Notifications of application status sent via mail and online system.
- April 5, 2018: Date that parents must respond to the offer and make arrangements with the school to provide the following documents: recent proof of HISD residency, a signed Magnet entrance agreement, and proof of age (if offered seat is for a pre-K or kindergarten program).
- May 31, 2018: Applications due for Phase II consideration (qualified in-district applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis, if space is available).
- Aug. 10, 2018: Applications due for Phase III consideration (Like Phase 2, but out- of-district applications will be considered).
How to apply for a magnet program
Step 1: Weigh your options
Attend the final school choice fair to learn more about the programs available across the district:
Dec. 2: 9 a.m.-noon at Key Middle School, 4000 Kelley, Houston, TX 77026
Tour any HISD school on Dec. 7, the final School Choice Thursday. Arrive at 9 a.m. for elementary and K-8 schools, and at 1 p.m. for secondary schools.
Visit HoustonISD.org/Magnet or call 713-556-6947. If you are interested in a Vanguard (Gifted & Talented) magnet program, visit HoustonISD.org/Vanguard or call Advanced Academics at 713-556-6954 to learn about testing qualifications/dates.
Step 2: Apply online or on paper
You will have a limit of 5 choices, and you must rank them 1-5, with your top choice being ranked 1.
Note: If you apply to 5 Vanguard programs, and your student is not ultimately identified as Gifted and Talented, your student will not be considered for any of the Vanguard programs chosen.
Apply online at HISDChoice.com (If you have used the system before, please use your previous account) or fill out a paper application (Pick up an application at the Magnet school of your choice, from the Office of School Choice, or download here.)
Be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application. (Check your email’s spam folder, and do not use a Hotmail account – the service often blocks emails from HISD.)
Submit your application by Dec. 8 to be considered in the first phase.
Step 3: Secure your seat
Notification of application status will be sent on March 22, 2018, before midnight via e-mail and within the online application system’s parent dashboard. In addition, one Magnet application status letter is sent via U.S. mail to the parents of all Phase I applicants.
If your student has been offered a seat, you have two weeks (until April 5, 2018) to respond to the offer and make arrangements with the school to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement. This will not affect your position on any waiting lists at higher-ranked schools.
If your student has been placed on a wait list, watch for changes in application status through spring and summer. You may be able to submit additional applications to programs with seats.