The Office of Strategy & Innovation has planned a variety of October events for the second annual College & Career Readiness (CCR) Month with the theme “Take Control: Explore. Design. Launch Your Future!”
CCR Month is a fun and creative way to engage students and introduce students to a variety of college and career options.
HISD’s College Readiness Department is visiting high schools all month and continuing through Nov. 15 to assist seniors and their parents fill out their applications for financial aid. Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step toward getting many different types of financial aid for school, and finishing the FAFSA early is the best way to maximize college award packages.
FIEL, a community partner, will also be available to help and answer any questions regarding the Texas Application for Student Financial Aid (TASFA) and DACA status. They are an immigrant-led organization that advocates for just laws for immigrant youth, their families, and access to higher education for all. For a schedule of Roadshow visits, see this link.
Project Explore is a new program at some 28 HISD middle schools designed to provide high-impact college and career programming for certain middle-school students and their families, including one-on-one advising and secondary programming. This month, Project Explore middle schools will be hosting orientations to acquaint parents with the program. See this flyer for more information and contact ProjectExplore@HoustonISD.org with any questions or visit their website.
- On Oct. 10, Jones Futures Academy will host an orientation for health science practicum students at LBJ Hospital where they will observe clinical rotations. For more information on the program, call the school.
- On Oct. 15, Parent University will take place from 5:15-8:00 p.m. at Westside High School, Pershing Middle School, Lawson Middle School, and Cook Elementary School. See the HISD calendar for more information and to register.
- On Oct. 16, the NACAC Performing and Visual Arts College Fair will be held from 7-9 p.m. at Rice University’s Shephard School of Music. Visit the link to register.
- The Chavez High School Livestock Show is set for Oct. 18 beginning at 2 p.m. with an auction at 4 p.m. There will be more than 20 students showing their projects, which include animals, culinary, horticulture, art, and agricultural mechanics. For more information, call Chavez High School.
- On Oct. 20, the NACAC STEM College and Career Fair takes place from 1-4 p.m. at the Bayou City Event Center. See the link for complete details.
Keep track of the ongoing College and Career Readiness competition at all HISD schools this month—Take Control: Explore. Design. Launch Your Future—on Twitter at #HISDLaunchYourFuture and @HISD2College. Check back for more events happening later this month!
[su_document url=”https://blogs.houstonisd.org/news/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/10/Project-Explore-Official-One-Pager-2018.pdf” height=”840″]