HISD’s Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts has received 10 nominations for its production of “The Color Purple” in the annual Tommy Tune Awards competition, which celebrates the educational value and excellence of high school musical theatre in the Greater Houston area.
The campus received nominations for:
- Best Musical
- Best Supporting Actress – Cami Moses
- Featured Performer – The Church Ladies (Tomi Akinwande, Alexandria Collins, and Keri Palmer)
- Lighting Design – Nicholas Lam
- Scenic Design – Ire Asojo, Amira Diaw
- Costume Design – Leah Clemons
- Choreography – Courtney Jones (faculty member and former student)
- Direction – Mekeva McNeil (faculty and former student)
“I had the privilege of seeing the show, and it was excellent in every way,” HISD Interim Superintendent Grenita Lathan said. “The commitment, professionalism and artistry of the students and staff were exemplary. The nominations are well-deserved.”
The production involved students from every creative department at Kinder HSPVA.
“Our team went all out for this production,” Principal R. Scott Allen said. “We overcame some challenges and staged a wonderful musical that made our entire campus proud. We are excited and honored to be nominated.”
The awards are administered by Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS). They are named for Tony-winning actor, dancer, director, producer, and choreographer Tommy Tune, who is a graduate of HISD’s Lamar High School.
The Tommy Tune Awards ceremony has been canceled in keeping with COVID-19 precautions but will be streamed online on April 28 at 7:30 p.m. by TUTS.