A two-part event will celebrate the Houston Independent School District’s “rock star” teachers on June 15.
During the day, an in-person and socially distanced event will take place at Delmar Stadium. Set for two different windows, teachers will receive swag bags and celebrate winners from 2020 and 2021. Teachers from the North, Northwest, and West areas will be able to attend from 9:30 to 11 a.m., with teachers from A180 schools, as well as the East and South areas, from 1 to 2:30 p.m.
That evening, a virtual event will be held to recognize the Principals and Assistant Principals of the Year, Teachers of the Year, Beginning Teachers of the Year, Librarians of the Year, the Ann Sledge Instructional Coach winners, and the various winners for nurses, teachers, and Associate Teachers of the Month throughout the school year.
Teachers are encouraged to host a “watch party” for the virtual evening event with friends and family. The event will last from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., with a virtual dance party taking place until 9 p.m.
Twelve educators have been named as HISD’s 2020-2021 Elementary and Secondary Teachers of the Year finalists, and two teachers have been named the Beginning Teachers of the Year. The two Teacher of the Year winners will go on to represent the district in Region IV. The 12 finalists were selected from all 280 schools based on performance data and other criteria.
At the elementary level, the six Teacher of the Year finalists are:
- Neftaly Gonzalez from Oates Elementary School
- Anabel Lopez from Ketelsen Elementary School
- Lisa M. Rice from C. Martinez Elementary School
- Rosa Oviedo from Neff Early Learning Center
- Briana Poindexter from Grissom Elementary School
- Barbara Smith from Sinclair Elementary School
At the secondary level, the six Teacher of the Year finalists are:
- Aric Barnes from Sam Houston Math, Science, and Technology Center High School
- Kimberly Brooks from Westbury High School
- Rose Durant from Kashmere High School
- Sharon PeBenito from Edison Middle School
- Chelsea Reynolds from Pin Oak Middle School
- Yabei Yin from Mandarin Immersion Magnet School
The Beginning Teachers of the Year are:
- Sarah Arvidsson from Seguin Elementary School
- Patricia Biles from Revere Middle School
- Christen Smajstria from Heights High School
The Principals of the Year are:
- Lola Perejón from Helms Dual Language Elementary School
- Gretchen Kasper-Hoffman from Tanglewood Middle School