The Scarborough High School JROTC Drill and Fitness teams are taking home 10 awards from this year’s National Championships in Daytona Beach, Florida.
Competing against more than 100 drill teams and 500 cadets in the fitness competition, the Scarborough Spartans placed several times over among the top competitors in the country, including first place in the Male Fitness Individual category.
“Excellence requires discipline and adherence to a defined standard,” said Lt. Col. Cornell T. McGhee, HISD JROTC Programs Director. “The discipline transfers to academics, community service, and the workforce. Our cadets excelled at the national level, and I could not be prouder.”
2023 JROTC National Championship awards:
1. Jean Weil Scholarship – Jakelin Gonzalez
2. U.S. Army Drill Competition – Unarmed Exhibition 3rd place
3. Fitness Team – 1st place Male Fitness Individual Male Performance – Camarrion Davis
4. Fitness Team – 1st place Individual Male Broad Jump – Camarrion Davis
5. Fitness Team – 5th place Overall Team Broad Jump
6. Fitness Team – 10th place Individual Broad Jump – Alex Jackson
7. All Service Drill Competition – 2nd place Unarmed Drill Exhibition
8. All Service Competition – 4th place Unarmed Dual – Zipporah Sanders and Katherine Ramirez
9. All Service Competition – 4th place Armed Inspection
10. All Service Competition – 4th place Armed Exhibition
Read more about the National High School Drill Team Championships here.
Read more about the National JROTC Fitness Challenge Championships here.
To learn more about JROTC programs in HISD, click here.