Houston Rockets power forward Donatas Motiejunas works with Rusk students on the EverFi Vault software to develop financial literacy.
On March 3, BBVA Compass delivered some high-tech tools and some high-altitude NBA stars to HISD’s Rusk School to help the East-End STEM-magnet campus prepare its students to compete academically in the 21st century.
BBVA Compass, the official bank of the NBA, teamed up with Houston Rockets power forward Donatas Motiejunas, bank brand ambassador and three-time NBA Champion Bruce Bowen, and other NBA greats such as Robert Horry and John Lucas at the school as part of the BBVA Compass Future Builders Program.
BBVA Compass and NBA Cares are teaming up for two Team Works in Schools events on Thursday, February 14 at Franklin and Eliot elementary schools.
- NBA legends and BBVA Compass volunteers will catalog and shelve more than 500 new books in the library and read with students at Franklin Elementary.
- NBA legends will guide students at Eliot Elementary through fitness and basketball activities
- Each school will each be receiving 30 tablet computers and a laptop.
- Pre-Kindergarten – 2nd grade students at both schools will select a book of their choice to take home as part of the initiative.
- A basketball court will be refurbished and new outdoor gym equipment will be installed at both schools.
- New furniture will be provided and set up in the Parent’s Alliance section of Eliot Elementary.
- BBVA Compass volunteers will join fifth-grade students in the computer lab as they interact with a new web-based financial education program developed by EverFi, Inc.