Tammie R.J. Moran has been selected as the new principal of Franklin Elementary School. Moran began her career in 1996 with HISD and has served as a science teacher, department chair, new teacher induction coach, registrar, and most recently an associate principal. Her years in education have consistently increased academic performance at the schools where she served. Most recently, Moran served as an assistant principal at Furr High School. Moran holds a bachelor’s in Biology from Texas Southern University and a master’s in Educational Administration from Prairie View A&M University.
BBVA Compass and NBA Cares are teaming up for two Team Works in Schools events on Thursday, February 14 at Franklin and Eliot elementary schools.
- NBA legends and BBVA Compass volunteers will catalog and shelve more than 500 new books in the library and read with students at Franklin Elementary.
- NBA legends will guide students at Eliot Elementary through fitness and basketball activities
- Each school will each be receiving 30 tablet computers and a laptop.
- Pre-Kindergarten – 2nd grade students at both schools will select a book of their choice to take home as part of the initiative.
- A basketball court will be refurbished and new outdoor gym equipment will be installed at both schools.
- New furniture will be provided and set up in the Parent’s Alliance section of Eliot Elementary.
- BBVA Compass volunteers will join fifth-grade students in the computer lab as they interact with a new web-based financial education program developed by EverFi, Inc.
Board of Education approved $5.7 million initiative
The Houston Independent School District Board of Education approved the $5.7 million proposal to add 4,110 laptops at 115 schools in an effort to aid in reading instruction.