More than 100 of HISD’s top performing student athletes committed to taking their academic and athletic talent to the college level on Wednesday as part of National Signing Day.
The HISD ceremony recognized the students’ formal commitment to continue their education and sports careers at colleges and universities around the country. During the event, students signed symbolic certificates of intent to continue their careers in baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, water polo, and wrestling.
Among the highlights are:
- More than 40 HISD senior boys will continue their football careers in college, including nine from Reagan High School, eight from Westside High School, seven from Bellaire High School, four each from Lamar and Madison high schools, and three each from North Forest and Yates high schools.
- 17 senior boys will play college baseball.
- Eight senior boys and six senior girls will play college basketball.
- Seven girls will play college volleyball.
- Six senior girls and three senior boys will play college soccer.
“On National Signing Day, we celebrate the athletic achievements of all Houston ISD athletes in all sports, male and female,” said HISD Athletic Director Marmion Dambrino. “These students have an opportunity to advance to the next level in athletics and have the financial assistance needed to attend college. It is a very proud moment for the students, parents, coaches, and educators who have helped them accomplish their goals. ”
Traditionally, National Signing Day has been reserved for senior high school football players completing their letters of intent with colleges and universities. But, for the past seven years, HISD has included both female and male athletes from all sports to showcase the district’s athletic talent. Additional athletic commitments also are expected after Signing Day.
To view a list of the 2015-2016 HISD student athlete signees, please visit http://www.houstonisd.org/Page/56847.