Mayor’s Sylvester Turner’s Back to School Fest is a great opportunity for Houston families to take advantage of an array of resources provided by the City of Houston and other sponsors.[photoshelter-gallery g_id=”G0000TqazJUJzUf4″ g_name=”2012-Back-to-School-Fest” width=”600″ f_fullscreen=”t” bgtrans=”t” pho_credit=”iptc” twoup=”f” f_bbar=”t” f_bbarbig=”f” fsvis=”f” f_show_caption=”t” crop=”f” f_enable_embed_btn=”t” f_htmllinks=”t” f_l=”t” f_send_to_friend_btn=”f” f_show_slidenum=”t” f_topbar=”f” f_show_watermark=”t” img_title=”casc” linkdest=”c” trans=”xfade” target=”_self” tbs=”5000″ f_link=”t” f_smooth=”f” f_mtrx=”t” f_ap=”t” f_up=”f” height=”400″ btype=”old” bcolor=”#CCCCCC” ]
As in years past, only registered kindergarten through fifth-grade students will receive a backpack filled with school supplies. In addition, students can take advantage of free eye and ear examinations, vaccinations, and lessons in dental hygiene and health.
The festival provides the chance for HISD students to prepare for the upcoming school year by getting the supplies and services they’ll need to start the year right. And it’s totally free, thanks to the generosity of Shell and many other sponsors.
However, parents must PRE-REGISTER to attend this event. In order to receive the date and location of the event, register here. Register soon, as the last day to sign up is July 31, 2016. Here are just some of the services offered at the Back to School Fest:
* Blood pressure and BMI screenings for adults, courtesy of the University of Houston’s American Pharmacist Association (APhA)
* Vision screenings by University of Houston’s College of Optometry, the City of Houston’s Health and Human Services Department, Eye Care for Kids, and Prevent Blindness Texas
* Child fingerprinting by Houston Police Department
* Haircut vouchers from Texas Barber Colleges and Hairstyling Schools
* Demonstrations on oral health
* WIC (Women, Infants, and Children nutrition program ) enrollment
* Box lunches furnished by City of Houston Parks Department
* Undergarments donated by Undies for Everyone
For additional information or problems with online registration, please call 311 or 713-837-0311 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.