The Houston Independent School District is encouraging parents to register early for pre-K for the 2018-2019 school year during the Week of the Young Child, which is April 16 through 20.
Pre-registration will still be available before and after this week, but schools are celebrating the Week of the Young Child as a formal window for pre-K roundup and to showcase HISD programs and celebrate the district’s young learners. The Week of the Young Child is an annual celebration sponsored by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Finding a program
To locate an Early Childhood Center or an HISD Elementary School, visit HoustonISD.org/FindASchool. Filter your search by clicking the PK grade level button in the Advanced Search. You may also email the HISD Early Childhood Curriculum Department at Curriculum@HoustonISD.org.
All children who will be 4 years old by Sept. 1 and live within the boundaries of HISD are welcome to apply. To be eligible for free pre-K, your child must meet any of the following criteria:
- Unable to speak and understand the English language
- Economically disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program)
- Child of a member of the United States Armed Forces
- Has ever been in state foster care
- Child of a peace officer, firefighter, and emergency medical first responder eligible for the Star of Texas Award
If your child is not eligible based on the criteria above, he or she may be eligible for tuition-based pre-K if space is available.
To secure a spot for your child, contact the school of your choice or visit the HISD website HoustonISD.org/PreK to download an Intent to Apply form. Make sure you have the following documents to register:
- Child’s official birth certificate
- Child’s immunization record
- Proof of address (utility bill)
- Proof of income (current pay stub)
- Photocopy of parent ID
To complete the registration process, parents must also submit an Official Pre-K Application Form, available 60 days before the first day of school. Forms may be downloaded online at HoustonISD.org/PreK or picked up at a campus.