The Houston Independent School District announces revisions to standardized start/dismissal times for the 2018-19 school year in order to improve our delivery of reliable and affordable transportation to our students.
The updated times include two notable changes:
- PK-8 and K-8 schools will now be grouped with middle schools, rather than elementary schools to have a later start/dismissal time of 8:30 a.m.-3:50 p.m.
- Ten minutes will be added to each day for high schools and 6-12 campuses to account for eight optional early release days for final exams. Their start/dismissal time will be 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Beginning next fall, the district will operate with the following standardized start/dismissal times:
- 7:30 a.m.-2:50 p.m. for elementary schools and early childhood centers
- 8:30 a.m.-3:50 p.m. for PK-8, K-8, and middle schools
- 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. for high schools and 6-12 campuses
- Because of partnerships with HCC and other unique needs, select schools may have alternate start/dismissal times, and parents can contact the campus for details. They are: Challenge HS, DeBakey HS, East Early College, Energy HS, HAIS, HCC Transition/Food Bank, HSPVA, Jones Futures Academy, Barbara Jordan HS, Liberty HS (a.m.), Liberty HS (p.m.), Middle College HS HCC Fraga, Middle College HS HCC Gulfton, North Early College, South Early College, and TH Rogers.
The district will communicate the new start times to parents with emails, phone calls, text messages, and stories on our district website, school websites, social media channels, and weekly e-newsletter.
When will this starts
This is for the 2018-2019 school year.
This is very confusing. The post says there is a 7:30 start time for elementary schools but then states 8:30 start for PK-8 and K-8. So which one is it?
Does this help?
7:30 a.m.-2:50 p.m. for schools classified as elementary schools and early childhood centers
8:30 a.m.-3:50 p.m. for schools classified as PK-8 schools, K-8 schools, and middle schools