Parents who want their child to attend one of the district’s choice programs for the 2020-2021 school year must apply by Friday, Dec. 6, to be included in the first round of consideration.
Any applications received after the Dec. 6 Phase I deadline will be considered only for schools where space is still available.
Parents who still aren’t sure which school they want their child to attend next year are invited to attend a final school tour this Thursday, Dec. 5. Arrive at 9 a.m. for elementary and K-8 schools, and at 1 p.m. for secondary schools.
HISD offers a robust portfolio of magnet programs at 112 schools to best meet students’ academic needs and interests. The magnet programs within the district include:
- College & Career Readiness
- Early College High Schools
- Fine Arts
- Futures Academy
- International Specialty Schools
- International Baccalaureate
- Language Immersion Schools
- Language Programs
- S.T.E.M. & S.T.E.A.M.
- Single-Gender College Preparatory
- Vanguard Magnet
3 STEPS TO APPLY TO A CHOICE PROGRAM
Step 1: Weigh your options
Attend a school choice fair to learn more about the programs available across the district:
- Feb. 15: 9 a.m. to noon at Northside High School, 1101 Quitman, 77009
Tour: Tours for HISD Magnet schools and Program Choice Transfers are available by contacting the individual campus for availability.
Visit https://www.houstonisd.org/schoolchoice or call 713-556-6947. If you are interested in a Vanguard (Gifted & Talented) magnet program, visit HoustonISD.org/GT or call Advanced Academics at 713-556-6954 to learn about testing qualifications/dates.
Step 2: Apply online or on paper
Families can choose up to 10 school programs, with a maximum of 5 magnet selections. Parents must rank them 1-10, with your top choice being ranked 1.
Note: If you apply to 5 Vanguard programs, and your student is not ultimately identified as Gifted and Talented, your student will not be considered for any of the Vanguard programs chosen.
- Apply online at HISDChoice.com (If you have used the system before, please use your previous account) or fill out a paper application. (Pick up an application at the school of your choice, from the Office of School Choice, or download here.)
- Be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application. (Check your email’s spam folder and do not use a Hotmail account – the service often blocks emails from HISD.)
- Submit your application by Dec. 6 to be considered in the first phase.
Step 3: Secure your seat
- Notification of application status will be sent in early spring via e-mail and will become viewable within the online application system’s parent dashboard. In addition, one application status letter is sent via U.S. mail to the parents of all Phase I applicants.
- If your student has been offered a seat, you have two weeks to respond to the offer, and make arrangements with the school to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement. This will not affect your position on any waiting lists at higher ranked schools.