Staying connected is important now more than ever, and HISD Abroad is answering the call with next week’s Virtual Global Issues Summit hosted by HISD students.
Student hosts Van Nguyen and Boris Mejia, seniors from HISD’s Houston Academy of International Studies, will go live on Zoom at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, May 27 to discuss the impact of global issues on high school students. They will be joined by guest speakers John Moravec, founder of Education Futures, and Carrie Olson, President of the Denver Public Schools Board of Education.
Summit topics and activities include:
- Live student speeches and intercultural performances throughout the summit. Participants can vote for winners, who will receive a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to study abroad in 2021.
- HISD students will discuss their study abroad experience studying abroad on a panel moderated from Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Learn about studying abroad while in high school.
- Join virtual breakout sessions hosted by local, national, and global organizations such as UNICEF, GenHTX, Asia Society, and The Citizens’ Climate Lobby.
- Explore the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals as a framework for global citizenship.
- Learn about the future of global education beyond the classroom from guest speakers.
There is still time for students to sign up and submit a video for the speech and intercultural performance competition to win a trip abroad. The submission deadline is Saturday, May 23. Click here to sign up for the competition.
The summit is free, but registration is required to attend. Click here to register. For more information about the Virtual Global Issues Summit or HISD Abroad, contact Kian Zare at firstname.lastname@example.org.