HISD is currently enrolling for its full-day pre-K program at schools across the district, offering more 3- and 4-year-old students in the community with the opportunity to attend a high-quality program that will build a strong foundation of learning.
Space in HISD pre-kindergarten programs is limited, and parents are encouraged to secure their child’s seat for the 2020-2021 school year as soon as possible. Children must live within HISD boundaries but do not have to be zoned to a specific campus to attend a pre-K program. To begin the enrollment process:
- Click here to find a school near you
- Visit https://www.houstonisd.org/enroll to start the online registration form for pre-K
- Have the following documents ready for registration: child’s birth certificate, proof of residence (utility bill), proof of income, and shot records
- For assistance, you may call the school directly
To be eligible for enrollment in a free, full-day pre-K program, a child must be 4 years of age on or before September 1 of the enrolling school year and a resident of HISD. Children must also meet one of the following criteria:
- Unable to speak and understand English
- Economically disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program)
- Child of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Has ever been in state foster care
- Homeless (no documents needed to enroll)
- Child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award
All HISD students return to school virtually on Tuesday, September 8. HISD pre-kindergarten students will be interacting with their teachers online for daily instruction through Friday, Oct 16. Beginning Monday, Oct. 19, families may choose either in-person or virtual learning. This date is subject to change based on COVID-19 conditions across the City of Houston and guidance from local, state and federal officials.
For more information about HISD pre-K application, visit houstonisd.org/prek or