Houston Independent School District will recognize its nearly 12,000 teachers during Teacher Appreciation Week, May 3 through 7.
The week is a part of a nationwide campaign spearheaded by the National Parent Teacher Association.
“Our teachers truly are the heart and soul of HISD,” Interim Superintendent Dr. Grenita Lathan said. “Over the past year, teachers have stepped up as true team players for our students and families. Teachers have transitioned to virtual learning and back again, often teaching two classes at once—one at home and one in-person.”
To celebrate the week, HISD is launching a campaign that focuses on these All Stars—and students, staff, parents, and the community are invited to participate through social media.
Here’s the game plan if you would like to participate in the fun on social media:
- Monday MVP (May 3): Who is your teacher MVP? Are they a current teacher, or do you have a fond memory of a teacher who impacted your life?
- Tuesday Team Playef (May 4): Do you know a teacher with a team-first mentality?
- Wednesday’s Chalk Talk (May 5): Grab your sidewalk chalk and create a message to say “thank you” to your teachers!
- Try-out Thursday (May 6): Channel your inner cheerleader and create a fun cheer for your favorite teacher or teachers.
- Flexible Friday (May 7): This has been the “Year of Flexibility,” and we’re grateful to our teachers who have cartwheeled, back-flipped, and somersaulted through the school year. Show teachers the love with a special video message and (optional) your best gymnastics move!
Each day use the hashtag #ThankHISDTeachers and tag @HoustonISD and @TeamHISD. If you would like to shout out a teacher in an even bigger way, submit the story of your favorite teacher at HoustonISD.org/FavoriteTeacher.
Also, our partners at Good Reason Houston are hosting a variety of giveaways and virtual events for teachers all week. You can also visit their online appreciation hub to download Zoom backgrounds, customizable signs and special thank you cards.