As scheduled, there will be no classes for students Monday, Jan. 17 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Tuesday, Jan. 18.
All campuses and offices will be closed Tuesday, Jan. 18 for an Attendance Mitigation Day, and staff should not report to work unless requested by a supervisor. Again, all campuses and offices will be closed on Tuesday, Jan. 18, and staff should not report to work unless requested by a supervisor.
The reason for this decision is due to the rise in COVID-19 cases throughout our community. Last week, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo raised the COVID-19 threat level to red—the highest and most severe level.
At this time, we ask that you take this extra day to mitigate potential exposure and follow the recommendations of local health officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Avoid large events and gatherings
- Wash your hands often
- Wear a mask
- Maintain social distance
- Test to prevent spread
- Stay home if you are sick
COVID-19 testing opportunities for all HISD students and staff are available through our partnerships with community leaders and health officials:
- Free drive-through mega site at HISD’s Delmar Stadium in partnership with the Houston Health Department. To register, visit HoustonHealth.org or call 832-393-4220.
- Free drive-through mega site at HISD’s Butler Stadium in partnership with the Houston Health Department. Appointments are not required but available by calling 1-866-333-2684.
- A list of campus testing sites and their weekly or bi-weekly schedules can be found at HoustonISD.org/HealthAlerts.
- A one-time consent is required for on-campus testing and can be filled out at https://bit.ly/HISDC19Test.
Students and staff are to return on Wednesday, Jan. 19. At HISD, we will continue to follow our Ready, Set, Go protocols for the safety of our students and staff. We will continue to monitor the situation and send updates as necessary. Thank you for your continuing support, and please stay safe.