Seven educators have been named as HISD’s 2021-2022 Elementary and Secondary Teachers of the Year finalists, and three teachers have been named the Beginning Teachers of the Year.
The 10 finalists were selected from all 276 schools based on performance and other criteria. Two finalists will be announced as the HISD Teachers of the Year winners for 2021-2022 and will go on to represent the district in Region IV.
At the elementary level, the four Teacher of the Year finalists are:
- Ana Espinosa from Dogan Elementary School
- Naomi Ewell from Woodson Elementary School
- Gina Orzabel from Briargrove Elementary School
- Maria Soria from Port Houston Elementary School
At the secondary level, the three Teacher of the Year finalists are:
- Kaylinn McNary from North Forest High School
- Alejandra Ortiz from Burbank Middle School
- Sheila Crawford Burley from Barbara Jordan Career Center
Along with the finalists for Teacher of the Year, the winners of the Beginning Teachers of the Year also have been announced.
The Beginning Teachers of the Year are:
- Madeline Gonynor from School at St. George Place
- Brittany Dominguez from Ortiz Middle School
- Briana Edwards from Wheatley High School
In February, HISD announced the 2021-2022 Elementary and Secondary Principals of the Year, Trealla Epps from Roberts Elementary School and Rita Graves from Lamar High School. Both will go on to represent the district as Region IV finalists.
Teacher of the Year finalists will be recognized, along with Beginning Teachers of the Year, Librarian of the Year, Instructional Coaches of the Year, and several other employee recognitions, at the annual Educators of the Year event on Friday, May 13, 2022.