HISD’s Counseling and Student Services Department is encouraging staff, students, parents, and the community to join in recognizing the nation’s oldest and largest drug prevention awareness program: Red Ribbon Week.
Red Ribbon Week is celebrated annually Oct. 23-31 and has taken on national significance, mobilizing communities to educate students and encourage participation in drug prevention activities. Wearing red ribbons during the month of October represents the pledge to live drug free and honors all who have lost their lives in the fight against drugs.
This year’s Red Ribbon Week theme is Celebrate Life! Live drug free!
Celebrate the week in your school community and raise awareness of living a drug free life by participating in the following activities for all grades levels:
- MONDAY, Oct. 24: Pledge to be Bully and Drug Free – Wear RED to kick off Red Ribbon Week!
- TUESDAY, Oct. 25: Be a Hero, Not a Bully! – Wear your favorite superhero gear!
- WEDNESDAY, Oct. 26: Drug and Bully Free from Head to Toe – Wear hats or crazy hair with crazy socks!
- THURSDAY, Oct. 27: Team Up Against Drugs and Bullies – Wear your favorite team shirt!
- FRIDAY, Oct. 28: Don’t Be Caught Sleeping, Say No to Drugs! – Dress in your school-appropriate pajamas!
Please take pictures and post using #RedRibbonWeek and @HISD_ACC to show support on social media.
To find additional resources and ideas, both face-to-face and virtual, visit RedRibbon.org.