Completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application is the first step toward receiving financial aid for college.
Students can fill out an application at any time, but the priority deadline for Texas is Friday, Jan. 15, 2023. Early submission is the best way to maximize award packages for students looking to attend college.
Each year, the Office of Federal Student Aid provides approximately $112 billion through grants, loans, and work-study funds to help college students pay for their higher education.
Priority for these awards is allocated to students who apply before the priority consideration deadline.
Students and their parents can apply for financial aid here.
TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid)
Foreign or non-citizen students may be eligible to be classified as a Texas resident to receive state financial aid. To apply for state financial aid, you must complete the TASFA here.
Important tips about filling out the FAFSA:
- Completing the FAFSA is FREE.
- Prior to submitting a FAFSA, you must create an FSA ID, which serves as your e-signature. You’ll use the same one each year. You’ll need one for a parent. Tip: if your older sibling applied for a FAFSA last year, one of your parents or caregivers already has an FSA ID.
- You need to complete the FAFSA each year you attend school in order to keep receiving your funding.
- The earlier you submit your FAFSA, the better. Texas Grant Awards are limited, especially if you apply after March 1.
- For the Pell Grant, you can apply the day before you start college, but you won’t receive your financial aid until October. That means you pay out of pocket until you get a refund check.
- Male students must register with Selective Service in order to be eligible for federal student aid.
- All federal aid, including loans, grants, and work-study, requires a FAFSA on file.
- High earners may qualify for some form of aid, especially institutional aid. Submit a FAFSA even if you think your parents out earn eligibility requirements.
- The maximum Pell Grant award is $6,895. Remember a grant is FREE money.
- FAFSA now uses “prior, prior year” tax data. Students enrolling in Fall 2023 will use 2021 tax data.
For more information about preparing for college, visit the HISD College Readiness webpage.