August is more than halfway over, and that means the start of school is right around the corner.
In case you missed it, classes start in the Houston Independent School District on Monday, Aug. 24, 2015, which is next week. Below are a few resources to help parents make the most of these last few days of preparation.
- Back-to-School Essentials — Check out our list of frequently asked questions for details on everything from how to request bus service and sign up for Free and Reduced Price Lunch to which schools require uniforms and how to obtain a list of school supplies.
- Back-to-School Extravaganza, Aug. 21 — If you still need backpacks, shoes, or immunizations for your children, this might be just the ticket. The event is coordinated by the district’s Homeless Education Office, but students need not be homeless to participate.
- Headed to HISD headquarters? — If you think you might need to visit the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center for any reason, be sure to click here first. We’ve compiled a list of reasons parents often go there and provided them with some guidance to save them time and trouble. Although some tasks can only be completed at the district’s headquarters, others can be accomplished from home or at the campus level.
- Learn METRO’s New Bus Routes — If you or your children ride the city bus to work or school, be sure to take note of METRO’s new bus routes. They went into effect on Aug. 16, but Houstonians have through Aug. 22 to check them out for free.
- Band Students Need Physicals — Middle- and high-school students are now being required to get physical examinations before participating in marching band activities. Students in other types of bands are exempt, but the deadline to get one is Monday, Aug. 31.
We look forward to seeing you bright and early next week. And if you have a question that isn’t answered here, please call the Information Center at 713-556-6000 for assistance.