The Houston Independent School District has updated the special education section of the HISD @ H.O.M.E page to enhance the organization of resources and tools for virtual instruction.
The district is committed to providing instructional resources to parents of students with disabilities during this time away from school buildings as well as multiple ways to engage children in meaningful learning experiences.
For example, if a student is accessing learning in a Structured Learning Class (SLC), there is a section with resources specific to students being served in this setting. There are also sections for additional placements to include: Preschoolers Achieving Learning Skills (PALS), Preparing Students for Independence (PSI), Skills for Learning and Living (SLL), and Structured Learning Class- Alternative (SLC-Alt).
For special education students who receive inclusion or co-teach support and access the general education curriculum in the general education setting, parents are encouraged to visit the section titled “Inclusive Learning Resources for Parents.” This section includes accommodations, designated supports and supplemental aids that can be used to assist students while engaging in learning.
Resources for each placement include the following:
- An instructional calendar with daily activities to support learning at home
- Parent tips for successful Home-Bound Learning
- Tips for parenting during the time of COVID-19
- Digital and printable educational resources to support learning
- Behavioral and emotional support resources
- Links to Virtual field trips and other enrichment activities
For additional questions or further support, email firstname.lastname@example.org.