Baylor College of Medicine Biotech Academy at Rusk is celebrating after more than 50 students earned dozens of awards at this year’s Texas Science and Engineering Fair and the Texas Health Occupations Students of America (Future Health Professionals) State Leadership Conference.
“Our students work really hard and try to do the best that they can,” said Magnet Coordinator Senta Butler. “They come back with so much confidence and always look forward to going again the next year.”
Eighth graders Lucille Lopez and Rahmatoulie Loppy competed in the Texas Science and Engineering Fair at Texas A&M University March 24-25.
Loppy advanced to the “Blue Ribbon” judging round where the top projects in the state are selected and placed first in the Behavioral and Social Sciences category.
“It’s so amazing to be able to celebrate them and see the remarkable growth from sixth grade to seventh grade and now eighth grade,” said Butler. “They are phenomenal students, and I am in awe at their intelligence and maturity level at such a young age.”
In addition to the Texas Science and Engineering Fair, 39 students received awards at the Texas HOSA State Leadership Conference which took place at the Kalahari Resort and Convention Center March 28-30. The team collectively earned 29 awards.
Thirty-three students qualified for the International Leadership Conference for HOSA (Future Health Professionals) scheduled to take place this summer. P.E. teacher Lisa Schneider won State Advisor of the Year for the second time in her career.
See the full list of students recognized down below:
- State Advisor of the Year – Lisa Schneider
- TXSEF Behavioral and Social Sciences – 1st place, Rahmatoulie Loppy
- HOSA Happenings – 6th grade chapter recognition
- Texas HOSA Area Spirit Award – Rusk
- Math for Health Careers – 4th place, Noyan Dogan; 1st place, Noah Acuna
- Health Career Exploration – 1st place, Maria Clara de Aguiar Sampaio
- Foundations of Nutrition – 5th place, Gavin Gonzalez
- Extemporaneous Health Poster – 5th place, Celeste Velazquez; 3rd place, Alexis Salazar; 1st place, Isabela Prieto
- Health Career Preparation – 5th place, Denis Ramirez; 4th place, Ella Hunter; 3rd place, Amber Balderas; 2nd place, Arturo Guajardo
- Healthy Lifestyle – 3rd place, Viviana Rocha
- Prepared Speaking – 4th place, Terrance Wicks; 1st place, Rahmatoulie Loppy
- Public Health – 1st place, Jasmine Savala, Alexia Garcia, Anthony Medina
- Dynamic Decisions – 1st place, Ian Holcombe, Sir Huff, Jovanny Cruz, Javier Camacho
- Exploring Medical Innovation – 2nd place, Alcides Conde, Josh Duron, Alexander Carrillo, Joaquin Silva-Lopez; 1st place, Ethan Bustos, Pan Seng Ra
- Health Career Display – 2nd place, Aniyah Williams, Briana Hill; 1st place, Lucille Lopez, Vivienne Lightsy
- Health Education – 3rd place., Myles Dues, Jayden Pulido, Joe Morales; 2nd place, Kamari Allen, Jaylah Winn; 1st place, Hannah Salazar, Tony Salazar, Kaidyn Manson
- Medical Art Poster – 3rd place, Pan Seng Ra; 2nd place, Celeste Velazquez; 1st place, Isabela Prieto