Your back-to-school questions answered

Welcome to the 2014-2015 school year! We know you may have questions about everything from registration to transportation to dress codes, so we’ve compiled a list of the most commonly requested information. If you have other questions, please let us know in the comments section below and we’ll look into them.


Which school is my child zoned to?
Call the zoning department at 713-556-6734 or use our Find a School tool. You may also access attendance boundary maps here.

How and when do I register my child for school?
Each campus has determined its own dates and hours. Please contact your child’s school directly for information.

The school where I planned to register my child is full. What do I do now?
Please contact the Office of School Choice at 713-556-6947.

I want my child to go to a different school. How can I make that happen?
Please call the student transfers department at 713-556-6947. More information, including applications, is available here.

What supplies does my child need?
If a list was not provided before the start of school, teachers will give students a list during the first few days of class. Please contact your child’s school or teacher directly for additional information.

Does my child need to wear a uniform?
Maybe. Click here to find a list of schools and their requirements. Please contact your child’s school directly for information about the dress code.

My child’s schedule isn’t what he/she wanted. Who can fix it?
Please contact your child’s school directly for assistance.


Is my child eligible to ride a bus to/from school?
Visit the transportation’s department’s website for eligibility requirements.

How can I find my child’s bus stop and the time he/she needs to be there?
Visit the transportation department’s website and use the search tool at the bottom of the page. If you need additional help, call the transportation department at 713-613-3040.

My child attends a magnet school. How do I arrange for bus transportation?
Requests should be submitted at your child’s school. If you need additional help, please call the routing & scheduling department at 713-613-3040.


Is my child eligible for free or reduced-price lunch?
Lunch will be served to all students at 169 schools, regardless of their family’s income. If your child’s school is not one of those schools, you may apply for free or reduced-price lunch.  For more information, contact the nutrition services department at 713-491-5700.

What’s on the breakfast and lunch menus?
Menus are posted here. There’s also an app for that! Click here for info about it.

My child has food allergies. How can I find out what allergens are in the food the district serves?
You can search each menu item for allergens here.


Are there any immunization or school supply drives?
We have a list of free immunization locations here. Click here for information about required immunizations. For locations outside of the district, and for information about school supply drives, please contact the city of Houston mayor’s outreach department at 832-393-0939.

How can I obtain my/my child’s transcript?
Visit the inactive records department’s website for instructions.

What are this year’s holiday’s/early dismissal days?
Take a look at the district’s academic calendar here.

What is the district’s attendance policy?
Click here for information about absences and tardies.

How can I see my child’s grades, assignments and progress reports?
Please visit our students and parents page to access or register for Parent Student Connect, which is available on the left side of the screen.

How can I get the latest information about what’s happening in Houston ISD?
Visit and follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

When is the district’s central office open, and where is it?
The Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., throughout the school year. The center is located at 4400 W. 18th St., near the intersection of U.S. 290 and the 610 Loop.

I need more help! Who can I call?
Please call the district’s information center at 713-556-6000 for additional assistance.