The Houston Independent School District earned top honors for its work in communications and community engagement during the 2019 Texas School Public Relations Association Annual Conference in Cedar Creek.
Presented to HISD Communications and HISD Business Operations Strategic Engagement and Outreach teams, the accolades covered nearly all facets of the teams, including writing, videography, graphic design, marketing, branding, and special events.
HISD Communications took home the prestigious Crystal Award for the 2018 HISD State of the Schools special event “Rebuild + Reimage,” which consisted of a multifaceted communications campaign that employed a variety of media, including graphic design, production, video, livestreaming, social media and three-dimensional table cards with hover animation. In addition, it also won two Crystal Commendations Certificates of Merit. Business Operations Strategic Engagement and Outreach took home 15 Star Awards medals, including five gold, nine silver, and one bronze.
“Telling the story of HISD and sharing the commitment demonstrated by our students, educators, and administrators is what drives us,” said HISD Chief Communications Officer Rebecca Suarez. “I am proud to work with a talented and dedicated team of communicators whose mission is to inform our community, support our schools and help our students succeed.”
The annual awards competition — hosted by the Texas School Public Relations Association and judged by an independent panel — is designed to recognize outstanding education communications and projects.
“I’m so proud of Strategic Engagement and Outreach for the work they do every day to shine a light on Business Operations support departments,” Chief Operating Officer Brian Busby said. “Police officers, cafeteria workers, custodians, bus drivers, construction workers — they all help lay the foundation for student success. Strategic Engagement and Outreach helps tell their story and bring their work to life.”
HISD Communications TSPRA Awards
Crystal Commendation Certificate of Merit
- Video Portfolio
- Marketing: Building Houston’s Future, Right Now
HISD Business Operations Strategic Engagement and Outreach TSPRA Awards
Gold Star Award
- Writing: Wisdom HS staff work around the clock to repair leaks, open new school after Hurricane Harvey
- Logo, Trademark, Symbol: Harvest of the Month
- Original Art: Create Your Own Salad (Best in Category)
- Promotional Video: Westbury HS Tour
- E-Newsletter External: Bond Newsletter
Silver Star Award
- Poster: Go Texan Day
- Writing: Driving HISD school bus is calling for 30-year veteran
- Writing: Nutrition education dietician growing more than just food with school garden program
- Writing: Worthing HS undergoing physical and academic transformation
- Video Feature Story: Parker Elementary School’s first day in their new building
- Video Feature Story: The New Wisdom HS – Built for Learning
- Promotional Video: Tour the New North Forest HS
- Special Event: Milby HS Grand Opening
- Special Event: Cooking Up Change 2018
Bronze Star Award
- Video Feature Story: J.P. Henderson ES Salad Bar Debut