Olga Ortiz, Employee of the Month for December, is an administrative assistant at Burnet Elementary School, a position she has held since 2001. Her dedication to that campus, which she also attended as a pre-kindergartener, is so strong that when she was offered an unsolicited promotion from HISD’s Elementary Schools Office last summer, she turned it down.
Karen Reed, Employee of the Month for January, is a Special Education secretary at Hogg Middle School, a position she has held since 2012. She walked away from a lucrative career in commercial real estate to join Team HISD, after realizing that her job wasn’t meaningful enough.
“As a research analyst, I did all this work so brokers could go home with big commissions,” said Reed. “I was padding someone else’s pocketbook, but not making a difference. I wanted somewhere for my stamp to be. These kids provide me with what I need: a purpose.”
The next meeting of HISD’s Employee of the Month selection committee is right around the corner, so don’t wait if you know someone who deserves to be nominated. HISD recently streamlined the process to make it easier than ever for people to submit a nomination. Just click here, fill in the fields, and press “done.” Your nomination will automatically be submitted for consideration at the next meeting. Please note that only employees serving in a non-instructional capacity (i.e. plant operators, secretaries, clerks, custodians, crossing guards, etc.) are eligible for this award.
HISD is recognizing its most dedicated staff members—including the Elementary and Secondary Teachers of the Year—at the Team HISD Celebration of Excellence at the Hilton Americas Hotel downtown. The program, which honors the year’s Employee’s of the Month, as well as Elementary and Secondary Teachers of the Year, also features KPRC-Channel 2 Chief Meteorologist Frank Billingsley as emcee.
The Houston Independent School District will announce the 2011-2012 Teachers of the Year tonight during a Celebration of Excellence recognition ceremony. The winners will receive $5,000, a plaque, and a custom made ring from Herff Jones Graduation Center. The Principals of the Year and the Employees of the Month will also be recognized. View live coverage of the event at houstonisd.org
Who: HISD Board of Education Trustees, Superintendent Terry Grier,2011-2012 Principals of the Year, Employees
of the Month, Elementary Teacher of the Year Nominees for 2011-2012:
- Ashley Moteil – Lyons Elementary School
- Ana Lentz – Pilgrim Academy
- Nanette Musters – Mark Twain Elementary School
- Selene Rogers – Windsor Village Elementary School
- Maria Godoy – Port Houston Elementary School
- Lindsey MacLeod – Oak Forest Elementary School
- Benjamin Glover – Gallegos Elementary School
- Susan (Kim) O’Reilly – Roberts Elementary School
- Alaster Gaines – Crawford-Sherman Elementary School
- Cecily Stevens – The School at St. George Place
- Martha Garcia – Herrera Elementary School
- Ernie Bainbridge – Walnut Bend Elementary School
Secondary Teacher of the Year Nominees for 2011-2012:
- Timothy Daponte – Reagan High School
- Qian Zhang – DeBakey High School
- Tarhonda Greer – Jones High School
- Modesto Mendoza – Devry/CLC
- Mildred Williams – Hope Academy
- Margarita Castro – Madison High School
- Darryl Tricksey – Fondren Middle School
- Brian Gaston – Hogg Middle School
- Neda Khan – Black Middle School
- Camula Stanfield – Pershing Middle School
What: Team HISD Celebration of Excellence recognition ceremony honoring 2011-2012 Teachers of the Year, Principals of the Year, and Employees of the Month
When: Thursday, May 24 at 6:45 p.m.
Where: Hilton Americas Hotel
Ballrooms of America
1600 Lamar Street