Parents who would still like to apply for a school choice program for the 2021-2022 school year have until Friday, Feb. 26 to do so.
After all applications in Phase 1 have been offered, eligible Phase 2 students who meet a program’s qualifications will be considered in the order in which their application was submitted, should the program have space available.
Any applications for students who live outside the HISD boundaries will not be considered until Phase 3, even if the application was submitted during Phase 2.
All applications for students who live inside the HISD boundaries, or for the children of active HISD employees who live outside the boundaries, will be considered in Phase 2.
HISD offers a robust portfolio of magnet programs at 112 schools to best meet students’ academic needs and interests. The school choice magnet programs within the district include:
- College & Career Readiness
- Early College High Schools
- Fine Arts
- Futures Academy
- International Specialty Schools
- International Baccalaureate
- Language Immersion Schools
- Language Programs
- S.T.E.M. & S.T.E.A.M.
- Single-Gender College Preparatory
- Vanguard Magnet
HISD also offers Program Choice transfers to schools at different levels and these are processed at the discretion of the campus Principal. The program choice programs within the district include:
- Boundary Option
- Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- Dual Language
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
3 STEPS TO APPLY TO A CHOICE PROGRAM
Step 1: Weigh your options
Attend a virtual school choice fair to learn more about the programs available across the district:
- Feb. 13: 9 a.m. to noon at www.Houstonisd.org/SchoolChoicefair or www.Houstonisd.org/SchoolChoicefairespanol
Tour: VirtualTours for HISD Choice schools and Program Choice Transfers are available by contacting the individual campus for availability.
Visit ChooseHISD.com or call 713-556-6734 If you are interested in a Vanguard (Gifted & Talented) magnet program, visit HoustonISD.org/GT or call the Gifted and Talented Office at 713-556-6954 to learn about testing qualifications/dates.
Step 2: Apply online or on paper
Families can choose up to 10 school programs, with a maximum of 5 magnet selections
Note: If you apply to 5 Vanguard programs, and your student is not ultimately identified as Gifted and Talented, your student will not be considered for any of the Vanguard programs chosen. Additionally, for High School Choice program applications each CTE pathway is considered a separate application.
- Apply online at ChooseHISD.com (If you have used the system before, please use your previous account) or fill out a paper application. (Pick up an application at the school of your choice, from the Office of School Choice, or download here.)
- Be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application. (Check your email’s spam folder and do not use a Hotmail account – the service often blocks emails from HISD.)
- Submit your application by Feb. 26 to be considered in the second phase.
Note: Feb. 26th is the last day enrolled students in HISD can apply for a Choice program for the 2021-2022 school year.
Step 3: Secure your seat
- Notification of application status will be sent in early spring via e-mail and will become viewable within the online application system’s parent dashboard. In addition, one application status letter is sent via U.S. mail to the parents of all Phase I applicants.
- If your student has been offered a seat during Phase 2, you have two days to accept the offer, and make arrangements with the school to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement. This will not affect your position on any waiting lists at higher-ranked schools.