As students prepare for a semester of new classrooms and old friends, and parents ready them with new pens and cool haircuts, it’s easy to overlook one of the most important new school year preparations: immunizations.Continue reading
May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and Houston Independent School District is joining organizations across the country in raising awareness about the importance of mental health by highlighting available resources and support for students and staff.Continue reading
The NCAA and Houston Local Organizing Committee have teamed up with HISD to bring a fun-filled weekend of events to Houston families in celebration of the Men’s Final Four National Championship taking place April 1-3, 2023, at NRG Stadium.Continue reading
When Woodson PK-5 Leadership Academy received word that their PE program was receiving a fleet of bicycles for their students, Principal Gina R. Wilkins was ecstatic. Her excitement turned to shock when she discovered that half of her staff never learned how to ride a bicycle.Continue reading
Dozens of HISD middle school students were given the opportunity to participate in a crash-course on menstruation literacy as part of Impact100 Houston’s “Girls Should Be in School…Period!” initiative.Continue reading
HISD is once again offering free COVID-19 testing for all students and staff at select campuses through November and December in partnership with the Houston Health Department and Fulgent Genetics.Continue reading
Houston Independent School District has partnered with tech platform Enrichly for a 10-week pilot program at 12 HISD campuses focused on building self-esteem, etiquette, and financial literacy.Continue reading
HISD is offering free drive-thru PCR COVID-19 testing on August 19, 20, and 27 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Testing will be available for HISD staff, students, and members of their households. The program is offered in partnership with the Houston Health Department and Fulgent Genetics.Continue reading
Safety will continue to lead the way as HISD prepares to welcome students and staff back on Monday, Jan. 3. As part of the district’s efforts to prioritize safety, HISD will continue to enforce its mask mandate at all district offices, facilities, campuses, and school buses.
To keep school and work communities safe upon everyone’s return, all students and staff are strongly encouraged to get tested for COVID-19 before returning to school or work on Jan. 3, regardless of vaccination status.
HISD has expanded partnerships with community leaders and health officials to provide additional COVID-19 testing and vaccination opportunities to the community in the following ways:
- Free drive-thru COVID-19 PCR screening testing on Sunday, Jan. 2, 2022, at the times and locations below:
- 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Chavez HS (8501 Howard), Westbury HS (11911 Chimney Rock), and Westside HS (14201 Briar Forest Dr.).
- 1 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Bellaire HS (5100 Maple St.) and Worthing HS (9215 Scott St.). To register, please go to https://bit.ly/3eB7hDn or contact Fulgent Genetics at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 346-803-5828 and select option 1.
- Free drive-thru mega site to expand access to free COVID-19 testing at HISD’s Delmar Stadium in partnership with the Houston Health Department. To register, visit HoustonHealth.org or call 832-393-4220.
- Free COVID-19 PCR screening testing on all campuses to HISD students and staff beginning January 2022. A one-time consent is required for testing and can be filled out in the following link https://bit.ly/HISDC19Test.
Please note that all classes will resume in-person, but all non-athletic field trips, including enrichment or curricular trips are suspended until further notice.
HISD is partnering with various organizations across the city, including the Houston Health Department, to offer COVID-19 vaccine opportunities in school communities. COVID-19 vaccinations for 5 years old and up will be available in several HISD schools beginning Friday, Nov. 12.Continue reading